The ULI Houston Development of Distinction Awards define the standard for excellence in the practice of real estate development in the Houston region. The Award recognizes developments and public open spaces that exemplify best practices in design, construction, economic viability, healthy places, marketing and management.
- Open Space
- For-Profit Large-Scale (over 100,000 sq/ft)
- For-Profit Small-Scale (under 100,000 sq/ft)
- Not For-Profit
- Early Bird – September 18
- Last Call – October 2
- Early Bird / Last Call – Category
- $200/$400 – Open Space
- $150/$300 – Non-Profit
- $200/$400 – For Profit Small-Scale
- $250/$500 – For Profit Large-Scale*Heritage category submissions pay the category above if the project were not a heritage project
Award Eligibility Requirements & Criteria
- Worthy of Emulation
- i.e. Innovative Public/private partnership, Shows leadership in specific category
- Achieve a high standard of excellence in all areas:
- Design, Construction, Economics, Marketing and Management.
- Stabilized operation and financially viable
- The financial viability of programs and processes, such as growth management strategies and publicly guided development programs, will be based upon the soundness of the investment of public funds and the extent to which the fully-implemented program or process has transformed communities and neighborhoods.
- Demonstrate relevance to the contemporary and future needs of the community in which it is located.
- Responsiveness to Societal Needs including Economic Need
- Attention to Environmental Compatibility, Sustainability and Stewardship/Positive Impact on Community Health
- NOT already recognized as a finalist in a previous ULI Houston Development of Distinction Awards programs.
- For clarification, please contact ULI Houston
Additional Eligibility Requirements – Heritage Award
The Heritage Award honors developments and programs that have been completed for a minimum of 25 years, have stood the test of time, and meet all other Award criteria. The application must be designated as a Heritage Award entry by checking the Heritage Award Entry box at the top of the Nomination Form.
Ready to Submit?Nominate Your Project Now
- Nominate projects with an established track record. This award is not intended to help market a vacant or brand-new property.
- Financial performance is a required element of any winning nomination. If a submitter does not wish to disclose sensitive financial information, then provide other means of validating performance, such as percent of the project that has sold or leased, achieving or exceeding forecast, or, for non-profits, demonstrated stewardship of resources and achievement of mission or expansion of services.
- Include attractive photography of the project showing people interacting with it. Show special elements the judges should consider, such as landscaping that preserved mature trees, public spaces that encourage community interaction, special energy-conserving features, etc. Before-and-after photos are very helpful. Examples of great people photos are below.
- Include third-party validation of your claims wherever possible. Testimonials and other endorsements are very helpful.
- Explain how this project has had a positive impact on its surroundings: How does it benefit the larger community? Has it started a trend that has been emulated by other developers? Did it improve the image of an area enough to stimulate additional, high-quality development? Has the project made a positive impact on the health of the community?
- Ensure the owner of the property has approved your submission and would allow a tour of judges, should it move to the finalist round.
- Review winning projects from past years for inspiration.