Become an UrbanPlan Volunteer!
When: Thursday, May 26, 8:00am-4:00pm
Where: BoyarMiller, 2925 Richmond Ave, 14th Floor
The training will be limited to 25 people. You must complete a volunteer training application to be included.
Questions? Contact Misty Loocke
Please Note: You do not have to be a ULI Member or a planner/developer to be an excellent volunteer. Please join us!
What is UrbanPlan?
UrbanPlan is a realistic, engaging exercise in which participants—high school students, university students, or public officials—learn about the fundamental forces that affect
real estate development in our communities. Participants experience the challenging issues, private and public sector roles, complex trade-offs, and fundamental economics in play when proposing realistic land use solutions to vexing growth challenges.
UrbanPlan in the Houston community
Trained UrbanPlan volunteers can have two roles:
1) facilitate teams of students or public officials to redevelop a hypothetical blighted area via a public-private partnership, and
2) serve on a mock city councils to judge presentations and select a winning team at the end of the session. All volunteers must first complete a daylong training session in which they learn the intricacies of the exercise and then how best to communicate their real life experience to the students in the classroom. Once the one time training is completed, the time demand on the volunteers is flexible and self scheduled as the program is run at multiple times and locations each semester.
FAQ for Volunteers
- Do I have to be a ULI member to volunteer?
- No! We welcome any Real Estate professional who fit the criteria.
- I don’t have a planning degree, am I qualified?
- Yes! You do not need to know how to plan or develop a project. We’ll teach you everything you need to know. And we enjoy sharing all the different types of careers in real estate with the students. And who knows, maybe you’ll learn something new too!
- Why do I have to be trained?
- Volunteers are trained on what the program entails, what the students will be learning and guidance on how to facilitate your meetings with students. Schools trust ULI to provide expert facilitators in their class!
- How often do I have to be trained?
- Once! Unless you are interested in a refresher course, you only need to attend one day of training
- How long is training?
- One full day that takes place at a local office. Lunch is provided.
- What if I cannot attend the full day?
- We recommend you choose a training day you can attend fully due to the content of the course. Based on teams, training works best when the entire team is there for the full day.
- When is training?
- Trainings will be scheduled throughout the year. Check our events page for any future trainings.